Apex Historical Society Note Cards                               Close Window

The Society has produced a set of note cards featuring illustrations of historic Apex homes and sites drawn by Brenda Priest of  Your Door & More - custom pen & ink illustrations. Cards are available with the original designs and also with splashes of color (shown below) for the holiday season. Card sets are available at The Rusty Bucket in Historic Downtown Apex and at AHS activities.

   


W. F. Utley built this house at 406 Elm Street, facing the railroad tracks, around  1870 for Dr. A. J. Thompson, but later acquired it for himself.A prominent Apex merchant, Mr Utley was a Wake County Commissioner, a postmaster, and a Justice of the Peace. 

The A. J. Fletcher family inherited the house and property, and subsequently sold it to Verne and Mary Lee Tunstall around 1940.   Mr. Tunstall was an early Apex Town Commissioner and farmer.  For  many years the Tunstall family put a single red candle in each window at Christmas.  Since the house stood apart on a knoll, the lights became a part of the decorations on historic Salem Street. 

The town of Apex  bought the property in 1997 to build the Town Campus.   The house became a Wake County Landmark in 2003.

   


The Halle is located 237 North Salem Street at the junction of Salem and Center Streets. The new downtown cultural arts center is one of the latest buildings to be restored and is home to the new community arts center.

Built in 1912 to be the Apex Town Hall, the building served many other needs over the years including housing the Police Station, jail, farmer’s market, the firehouse (in the rear), a ticket office and once provided a second floor gathering place for teenagers to meet and dance. The original building served as home for the Apex town government center for 65 years.

   


The historic Apex Union Depot , built in 1914 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, currently serves as the home of the Apex Chamber of Commerce.

The building, located at 220 North Salem Street at the corner of Salem and Center, served as a train depot for early town residents and later became the town library prior to its current use.

The parking lot provides space for the Apex Farmer’s Market during summer months and hosts the Apex Christmas Tree in December.

   


A restored Seaboard Railroad caboose, provided by the Apex Historical Society. This now serves as a downtown landmark offering a glimpse back into an era of the late 1860s and beyond. Coal powered locomotives from times gone by pulled hundreds of freight cars through an early Apex.

   


The Maynard-Pearson House, located at 1101 Olive Chapel Road in Apex,was constructed in the 1870′s by Mr. James Maynard on land willed to his wife Civil Pearson-Maynard by her father. The house was extensively remodeled in 1944. The house and property remained in the Maynard-Pearson family until its sale in 1994 to M.J.K. Development.

In 1995, the home was deeded to the Maynard-Pearson House Trust, a nonprofit entity. The house now serves as the home of the Apex Historical Society. Many Apex families have given furniture & accessories. The house has become a museum of rural living of the 1870′s

   

Apex Historical Society
P.O. Box 506
Apex, NC 27502


Copyright 2002-2008 ~ Apex Historical Society ~ All Rights Reserved